Truck Insurance Filings

Navigator offers state and federal filings, also called financial proof of responsibility. An insurance filing is a guarantee to the government that you have sufficient truck insurance protection to meet their financial responsibility requirements. Once your authority has been filed, we can take care of the rest.

Federal Filings

We offer federal filings for trucking businesses that engage in:

  • Interstate trucking
  • Hauling hazardous cargo (placard)
  • For-hire trucking (common, contract)
  • For-hire passenger transportation


As an example, you are required to have a federal filing if you are a motor carrier doing long haul trucking, regional trucking, or if you are a specialist. For-hire truckers hauling nonexempt commodities across the state line must also carry a federal filing. The filings required for these types of businesses are the BMC-34 filing and the BMC-32 form.
Federal filings are not required for businesses that never cross the state line or engage intrastate trucking.

State Filings

If you haul exempt commodities, you are required to submit a state filing unless you are in one of the following states:

  • Alaska
  • Arizona
  • Delaware
  • Florida
  • Hawaii
  • Maryland
  • Nevada
  • New Jersey
  • Oregon
  • Pennsylvania
  • Vermont
  • Wyoming


State filings for intrastate exempt commodity haulers are the Form E Filing, the Form F Filing, and the Form H Filing.

Sectors That Do Not Require Federal or State Filings

The following are considered unregulated trucking sectors that do not require a federal or state registration.

  • Private carriers hauling their own goods, such as manufacturers, farming and retail operations.
  • Owner-operators hauling under someone else’s authority, such as a truck owner leased on to a motor carrier.

Other Filings and Certificates of Insurance (COI)

Other reasons besides trucking authority might require a business to submit proof of insurance. For example, drivers with probationary licenses or owners of oversized vehicles may need a nontrucking filing or a certificate of insurance (COI).

To verify if you need proof of insurance, check the list below for your business type or vehicle class and state of operation.

WhoStatesFiling or Certificate of Insurance
Commercial balloon excursionsCAPL914 Filing
Commercial river rafting excursionsCAPL914 Filing
Commercial skiing (class C) excursionsCAPL914 Filing
Courtesy transportation (not for-hire)CTMC1641 Filing
 CATL1000 Filing
Driving schoolsCACalifornia Driving School Certificate
 VTTA-VN-31 Driver Training COI
For-hire transportCAMCP-65 Filing
Leasing or renting a vehicleCTR1325C – IRB3613C Filing
Movers of household goodsCATL676 Filing
Oversized vehicles, trailers or loadsOHOS-32 Filing
 AL, AR, LA, MS, PAOversized/Overweight Vehicles COI
Oversized or Overweight vehicles, trailers and/or loadsNYPerm 17
Overweight vehicleCAMCP-65 Filing
 FLFlorida Department of Motor Vehicles COI
Reinstate a suspended licenseAllSR-22 Filing
 INSR50 Filing
Towing businessesMTForm MV5 COI
 COForm 12
 COForm 14
 TXForm T
 OKWA Form
Transporting goods or people across state linesAllBMC-91X Filing
 AllForm MCS-90