Owner Operator Insurance

If you’re an owner-operator, you need special truck insurance products and services to keep you fully protected whether you’re under permanent lease to a motor carrier or if you work under your own authority. Navigator understands your truck insurance needs and can help you select the truck insurance coverage you need to protect your business and your livelihood.

Owner Operator Under Permanent Lease to a Motor Carrier

As an independent driver leased to a motor carrier, your owner operator truck insurance coverage needs are mainly determined by the lease agreement you have with your motor carrier. In most cases, a motor carrier provides primary auto liability insurance coverage when you are working on their behalf. Primary auto liability insurance covers injuries or damage to other people or property if you’re at fault for an accident.

However, you may need to purchase other owner operator truck insurance coverage, including:

  • Non-Trucking Liability (NTL) insurance – Can provide primary auto liability protection for when you’re not operating under the motor carriers authority (under the motor carriers dispatch).
  • Physical Damage insurance – Can cover the cost of fixing or replacing your truck if it’s involved in an accident or stolen.
  • Occupational Accident insurance – Provides coverage for medical expenses, lost wages, & accidental death and dismemberment for injuries incurred while at work.

While some motor carriers may offer these insurance coverages to you when you lease from them, we are often able to get you a lower premium. Plus, you’ll be able to make choices to customize your coverage to meet your individual needs and know exactly how much protection you’re getting. You will be able to add coverage features such as:

  • Downtime/Rental Reimbursement insurance – Provides primary auto liability protection, for when you’re not under disbatch.
  • Single Deductible insurance – If your truck and tractor are damaged by the same cause of loss, the policy deductible will be applied only once.
  • Personal Property insurance – Provides coverage for personal belongings inside an insured truck.
  • Towing/Mechanical Breakdown insurance – Provides coverage for towing and/or repairs to a covered auto that is disabled due to a mechanical breakdown.
  • Diminishing Deductible insurance – For each consecutive annual policy period that you do not have a paid physical damage loss your deductible will be reduced by 25%.
  • Electronic Equipment insurance – Provides coverage for electronic equipment while inside or attached to a covered auto.
  • Miscellaneous Equipment insurance – Provides coverage for binders, tarps, chains, tie-downs and other equipment used for load securement.

Owner Operator Working Under Their Own Authority

If you are operating under your own authority you will need to carry your own commercial truck insurance coverage, including:

  • Primary Auto Liability insurance – Pays for damages that you cause to other people and their property. This includes bodily injury liability insurance and property damage liability coverage.
  • Physical Damage insurance – Pays for repairs to your vehicle if it’s damaged in an accident, whether it’s caused by a collision with another vehicle or a falling tree.
  • Motor Truck Cargo insurance – Can pay for damages to the cargo that you’re hauling in case of fire, theft, or an accident.
  • Commercial General Liability insurance – Can pay for bodily injury or property damage you cause as a result of business activities not directly related to operating your truck.

Owner Operator Insurance Quotes

Call 1-800-596-TRUCK(8782) for a free insurance proposal. You will receive help and guidance from one of our licensed insurance representatives.
Learn more about a commercial truck insurance proposal.